Sunday 8 September 2013

Jupiter Squared vs Factory Lites


So after a couple of requests online I thought I'd do a comparison of the Oakley Jupiter Squared and the newer Jupiter Factory Lites. 



Obviously the first difference is what the frames are made out of. The Jupiter Squared are made from Oakley's patented O matter plastic composite which is extremely comfortable to wear and very lightweight. 



The newer Jupiter Factory Lite use several different materials in the frame. The centre frame is made from machined aluminium and the arms are constructed from lightweight carbon fibre. The factory Lites feature Oakley's twin shock hinges which I guess is the best way of joining the two separate materials on the frame.


Here's a pictuce of the twin shock hinge system:



Right down to my thoughts on the two versions of Jupiter squared. The newer Factory Lites definitely look that bit classier with the upgraded materials but you do have to pay that bit extra for them. The Factory Lites are noticeably heavier than its predecessor but my main problem with the factory Lites is the hinge system. They feel spring loaded which I feel Oakley designed for a better fit but for me personally this causes the arms to dig in behind my ears, so wearing the frames for longer periods is a problem for me.Below is a picture hopefully showing the difference in the wraps of each pair - you can see the Factory Lites are a lot tighter.



The original Jupiter Squared is actually my favourite frame at the moment ( I currently have 4 pairs)- they fit me perfectly, look stylish and are a bit different to the generic ray ban wayfarers that everyone seems to be sporting this summer. They are lightweight and offer great coverage from the sun because they have quite a nice wrap in the frame. But one of the big pluses going to the original pair over the factory lites is the price. The RRP on the Jupiter factory Lites is £200 and its O matter counterpart is £115. 



I purchased both versions from www.shadestation.co.uk and got considerable discounts on the RRP of both pairs so check them out -  I will do a review of  the online Oakley distributor shade station when I get my next purchase from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment